Phase 2: Hockey Update
September 25, 2020
Please see below for a message from Membertou Sport and Wellness Centre General Manager, Paul Carroll.
The Department of Health gave hockey families and facilities some much needed good news, this week. Effective as of October 1st the following update rules will be in place at the Membertou Sport and Wellness Centre.
- Maximum capacity on the ice without social distancing is now 50. Masks must be worn by all players and coaches until they get onto the ice.
- Players in U13 and above will no longer be required to wear their gear to the rink. Players U11 and below will still be required to wear their gear to the rink (goalies are the exception). Players are to arrive no earlier than 20 minutes before ice time and leave no later than 15 minutes after ice time. They must check in with the team safety office and complete the Covid-19 forms.
- For practices and tryouts, one guardian will be permitted to watch in assigned seating area where social distancing and mask policy must be followed. Parents must wear masks while in the facility, including in the stands. The home team is required to track all players and parents in the facility for contact tracing purposes.
- For games (exhibition and regular season) the capacity of the Emera Rink is 200 and the BMO Rink is 125. Parents must follow social distancing and mask policy at all times in the facility. We ask that parents refrain from entering the rink until 5 minutes before ice time and leave as soon as the game concludes. They can wait for their players outside or in their vehicles. Waiting in the lobby will not be permitted.
- The player drop-off zone in the front of our building is for drop-off only, not pickup. Please refrain from parking in this area other than when dropping players off.
The change in rules and the increase in numbers is welcome news, though it is our responsibility to ensure everyone follows them. If the rules are not being adhered to, teams/renter may lose their ice time and violators will ask to leave the facility. I am happy to announce this positive news and look forward to everyone following the rules and enjoying our great game.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Paul Carroll, General Manager, Membertou Sport and Wellness Centre